The company traces its origins to 1849 when pharmaceutical dispensing measures were being manufactured in the City of London. Mr A. J. Cope, grandfather of the present owners, was apprenticed to a Mr Tucker in 1870 and together they manufactured volumetric medical and laboratory glassware.
In 1890 they formed a partnership under the name Cope & Tucker. In 1920 the Cope family took control of the business and it began trading as A. J. Cope & Son.